Love eating eggs and bacon in the morning but looking for an alternative to spice things up? These Baked Egg and Bacon Baskets are the perfect way to eat your favourite breakkie. They are great for so many reasons! You can prepare them and then take them with you and eat them on the go (for breakfast lunch or tea!). They also look fabulous so they are a great meal to prepare when you are having guests or catering for a picnic.
You can mix and match ingredients as well so whip up a batch of these beauties and watch as they disappear before your eyes as your friends and family snatch them up. YUM!
This recipe makes 12 portions.
- 12 Eggs
- 12 pieces of short cut bacon with rind removed
- 12 pieces of your favourite bread (We use rye in The Shake UP household)
- 1 capsicum cut into 12 strips
- 1 zucchini cut into 12 strips
You can also add cherry tomato halves or some goats cheese if it fits!
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Lightly fry off bacon pieces
- Remove crusts from bread – this can be frozen and used to make breadcrumbs another day
- Lightly oil a 12 hole muffin tray
- Using a rolling pin, roll your pieces of bread and push each piece into a muffin tin to form the ‘basket’
- Crack an egg into each basket
- Bake for 20 minutes in oven (or until egg is cooked to your liking)
- Season with salt and pepper
TIPS: *Buy small or medium eggs and you will fit more extras in your basket. *If you are taking to eat on the go or at a picnic, you are best cooking the egg right through so that you don’t end up with egg on your face!
Serve warm or cold and enjoy!